A vacancy has arisen within South African Guide-Dogs Association for the Blind (GDA) for the position of Learner Service Dog Instructor.
Location: 126 Wroxham Rd, Paulshof
Responsible to: Service Dog Manager
- Assessing of dogs for their suitability to be trained as a Service or Autism Support Dog.
- Training of suitable dogs to work as Service or Autism Support Dogs.
- Instructing owners in the safe and effective use of a working dog.
- Supporting Service Dog owners/Autism Support Dog owners and their dogs throughout the dogs working life.
- Training of Service and Autism Support dogs to the required standards within a set period of time.
- Interviewing and assessing applicants and existing clients.
- Recommendation of acceptance for training, where appropriate.
- Training of accepted applicants and their dogs either from their homes (within South Africa), at GDA Johannesburg or at GDA Cape Town branch, in both theoretical and practical education.
- Organise and conduct post class/routine/emergency aftercare for clients.
- Accurate and timeous record keeping.
- Good people skills (empathy for people who are differently-abled).
- Able to cope with the emotional demands of the position.
- Ability and willingness to undertake public speaking engagements on behalf of the Association.
- Willingness to work on weekends and after hours.
- Available to travel and work away from home (within South Africa) for up to 35 days consecutively.
- Physically fit and prepared to assist clients in a physical manner.
- Must be prepared to write tests and exams and achieve a 70% pass mark.
- Must be able to communicate in English and Afrikaans.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must have a minimum education level of a Matric Certificate (additional education an advantage).
- Dog training experience is essential.
- Clicker training experience an advantage.
- An understanding of dog behaviour and dog health an advantage.
- Completion of a COAPE course an advantage.
Persons interested in this position should email the following documents to Maxine Geddie at MaxineG@guidedog.org.za
- A copy of their CV and qualifications.
- Letter of motivation.
- Copy of their identity document.
Applications will close on 24 November 2017.
South African Guide-Dogs Association for the Blind reserves the right not to fill this vacancy. An application will not in itself entitle the applicant for an interview or appointment and failure to meet the minimum requirements of the post will result in the applicant automatically disqualifying themselves from consideration. Applicants who do not receive a reply within 2 weeks of submission should deem their application to have been unsuccessful.