A vacancy has arisen within South African Guide-Dogs Association for the Blind (GDA) for the position of Learner Guide Dog Mobility Instructor.
Location: 126 Wroxham road, Paulshof
Responsible to: Head Training
- Assessing of dogs for their suitability to be trained as a Guide Dog.
- Training of suitable dogs to work as Guide Dogs.
- Care of the dogs that are in training.
- Instructing owners in the safe and effective use of a working dog.
- Supporting Guide Dog owners and their dogs throughout the dogs working life.
- Support and education of Puppy Raisers.
- Support of the Marketing Department.
- Training of Guide Dogs to required standard within a set period of time.
- Interviewing and assessing Guide Dog applicants, existing clients and Puppy Raisers.
- Recommendation of acceptance for training, where appropriate.
- Training of accepted applicants and their dogs either from their homes (within South Africa), at GDA Johannesburg or at GDA Cape Town branch, in both theoretical and practical education.
- Education and support of Puppy Raisers with regards to the socialisation and care of pups.
- Organise and conduct post class/routine/emergency aftercare for clients.
- Conduct emergency visits to Puppy Raisers if required.
- Accurate and timeous recording keeping.
- Support of the Marketing Department and participation at Marketing events after hours and on weekends.
- Good people skills (empathy for people who are differently-abled).
- Able to cope with the emotional demands of the position.
- Ability and willingness to undertake public speaking engagements on behalf of the Association.
- Willingness to work on weekends and after hours.
- Available to travel and work with clients (within South Africa) for up to 35 days consecutively.
- Physically fit and prepared to assist clients in a physical manner.
- Must be able to walk 15 km per day.
- Must be prepared to write tests and exams and achieve a 70% pass mark.
- Must be able to communicate in English and Afrikaans.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must have a minimum education level of a Matric Certificate (additional education an advantage).
- Dog training experience is essential.
- Puppy socialising experience an advantage.
- Clicker training experience an advantage.
- An understanding of dog behaviour and dog health an advantage.
- Completion of a COAPE course an advantage.
Persons interested in this position should email the following documents to Mandla Ndhlovu, MandlaN@guidedog.org.za
1. A copy of their CV and qualifications.
2. Letter of motivation.
3. Copy of their identity document.
Applications will close on 11 August 2017 at 16h00.
South African Guide-Dogs Association for the Blind reserves the right not to fill this vacancy. An application will not in itself entitle the applicant for an interview or appointment and failure to meet the minimum requirements of the post will result in the applicant automatically disqualifying themselves from consideration. Applicants who do not receive a reply within 4 weeks of submission should deem their application to have been unsuccessful.